Amyloid A and P react with amyloid deposits in many tissues. When accompanied by Congo Red, Amyloid A and P can be used to distinguish primary and secondary amyloidosis. Because these stains are interpreted in context of each other and Congo Red, testing options available to global and tech-only clients differ.
- Global orders: Please order Amyloid A&P Panel and submit a Congo Red-stained slide for our reference (required). If Congo Red staining was not done or the slide is not available, please order a Consult instead so we can coordinate Congo Red staining followed by amyloid A and P staining as indicated. Individual orders for Amyloid A or Amyloid P are not available with global service.
- Tech-only (stain only) orders: Please order Amyloid A and/or Amyloid P as individual stains. The Panel combination is not available with tech-only service, nor is it necessary to submit a Congo Red-stained slide.
- A formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue block is preferred specimen type
- One (1) unbaked, unstained slide for H&E staining (required) and two to four (2-4) positively charged unstained slides (all cut at 4-5 microns)
- Block and slide identifiers should be clearly written and match exactly with the specimen ID and specimen labeling as noted on the requisition.
Use cold pack for transport, making sure cold pack is not in direct contact with specimen.
Global: 48 hours, Tech-Only (stain only): 24 hours