Methodology
Molecular
Test Description

Bi-directional sequencing of the entire coding sequence of the TET2 transcript variant A (2002 amino acids in length).

Clinical Significance

TET2 functions in DNA methylation as a part of epigenetic regulation of gene expression. Mutations are detected in myeloid cancers including 19% of MDS, 12% of MPN, 16% of AML, and 22% of CMML, and are associated with poor overall survival in intermediate-risk AML. Mutations are also detected in 38% of peripheral T-cell lymphoma and 47% of angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma. In these lymphomas, TET2 mutations are associated with aggressive disease and poor outcome.

Specimen Requirements

Peripheral blood: 5 mL in EDTA tube. Bone marrow: 2 mL in EDTA tube.

Storage and Transportation

Use cold pack for transport, making sure cold pack is not in direct contact with specimen. Ship same day as drawn whenever possible; specimens <72 hours old preferred.

CPT Code(s)*
81479x1
Turnaround Time

14 days

Level of Service
Global

*The CPT codes provided with our test descriptions are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. Correct CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payor being billed.