Probes: PDGFRa, CHIC2, FIP1L1 (4q12) | PDGFRb (5q33) | FGFR1 (8p11) | BCR/ABL1 t(9;22) including ASS1 (9q34) | Probes may be ordered separately.
Disease(s): Myeloproliferative neoplasms
The MPN FISH panel is indicated in the diagnosis of myeloproliferative neoplasms with eosinophilia and as a guide to therapeutic selection. Patients with BCR-ABL, PDGFRA or PDGFRB rearrangements are responsive to tyrosine kinase inhibitors. There currently is no established TKI therapy for diseases with FGFR1 rearrangement, but some promising new therapies have been reported. If these FISH studies are negative, that does not exclude a myeloproliferative neoplasm and molecular studies for JAK2 and/or MPL mutations should also be considered in the work-up of a possible myeloproliferative neoplasm.
- Bone Marrow Aspirate: 1-2 mL sodium heparin tube. EDTA tube is acceptable.
- Peripheral Blood: 2-5 mL sodium heparin tube. EDTA tube is acceptable.
- Fresh, Unfixed Tissue: Tissue in RPMI.
- Fluids: Equal parts RPMI to specimen volume.
- Paraffin Block or Cut Slides: Not available.
- Note: Please exclude biopsy needles, blades, and other foreign objects from transport tubes. These can compromise specimen viability and yield, and create hazards for employees.
Use cold pack for transport, making sure cold pack is not in direct contact with specimen.