Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and In Situ Hybridization (ISH)
Broad IHC, ISH, and digital pathology services provide the foundation of a strong anatomic pathology program
Immunohistochemistry (IHC) is a core cancer diagnostics testing method that is playing an increasingly important role in precision medicine. It combines immunological and biochemical techniques to identify specific components of a tissue. IHC uses a building-block system of antibodies, conjugates, and chromogens (color reagents) for detection. A significant advantage of IHC over other methods is that IHC allows the distribution and density of components to be visualized in relation to each other and to the rest of the tissue sample. Results reported by NeoGenomics, depending on the antibody, can be qualitative or semi-quantitative.
In situ hybridization (ISH) targets specific nucleic acids within fixed tissues and cells to indicate a gene’s presence or expression while allowing simultaneous visualization of the tissue’s morphology. ISH staining is not prone to fading as hybridization signals are in fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH). NeoGenomics offers chromogenic in situ hybridization (CISH) analysis of CMV, EBER, HPV, kappa, and lambda. HER2 Dual ISH utilizes both silver ISH (SISH) and chromogenic ISH.
Digital pathology enables rapid image sharing and automated image analysis. NeoGenomics’ image analysis package Scope™ IA provides a comprehensive web-based solution for acquiring, viewing, and analyzing images to provide accurate and objective quantification of staining. Designed by pathologists, for pathologists, Scope™ IA is a medical diagnostic/prognostic solution that can improve workflow and increase efficiency in our clients’ practices. Scope™ provides a digital viewing platform for antibodies in which quantitative algorithms are not being used. Whole-slide scanning (or whole-slide imaging, WSI) is also available with tech-only, stain-only testing; please contact your representative for details.
Highlights of Our Histology Program
- Broad menu with over 300 IHC antibodies and stains currently available in-house
- Multiple in-house test platforms – our vendor agnostic approach let us choose the best system for optimal validations and performance of each test
- Digital pathology options for quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Highly-developed and well-staffed QA/QC program including CAP proficiency testing
- Repeat rate below industry standard
Specimen and Ordering Information
Acceptable specimen types vary by test, so please check details for the test of interest. NeoGenomics’ IHC testing is routinely performed on the following specimens:
- Formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue block is preferred specimen type
- For cut slides, 1 unbaked, unstained slide cut at 4-5 microns for H&E staining (required) and 2-3 positively charged unstained slides cut at 3-4 microns for each test/antibody ordered
- Block and slide identifiers should be clearly written and match exactly with the specimen ID and specimen labeling as noted on the requisition.
Nearly all IHC antibodies and stains are available on a tech-only (stain-only) basis. Many are available also with global options and tech-only options for use of image analysis or slide scanning for semi-quantitative reporting. Please contact your Territory Business Manager and review our IHC & Special Stain Requisition for details.
See our full list of IHC antibodies and stains with printable descriptions and specimen requirements.
See our ISH tests with printable descriptions and specimen requirements.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive email notifications of new tests.