Testing for tomorrow
When a patient is facing the possibility of an inherited cancer syndrome, it can be a challenging and emotional time. With so many factors at play, like the characteristics of predisposition genes, environmental factors, health status and behaviors, and partial or incomplete medical histories, it’s important that patients fully understand the contextual implications of their results, should they decide to test. This level of care goes well beyond the lab.
As such, NeoGenomics requires that patients choosing to undergo these tests complete the Consent for Hereditary Cancer Genetic Testing form. This ensures that both patient and provider are fully aware of the process, risks, benefits, and limitations involved in the test in order to verify their informed consent.
Patients and families are empowered through genetic counseling to make the best decisions for themselves through expert advice, education, and truly informed consent.
Genetic counseling for hereditary cancer risk involves the communication, evaluation, and decision process that occurs between a genetic counselor, a medical care provider, and a person who has, or whose family has, cancer. This process begins well before the test is ordered, starting when medical histories of those involved are gathered to assess the risk for an inherited predisposition to cancer. Then, if necessary, testing options and their potential outcomes are discussed to ensure that patients and families are fully informed of the results and what they could mean. Like all professional organizations with an interest in cancer genetic testing, NeoGenomics recommends genetic counseling for all those pursuing a test for hereditary cancer risks.
Finding A Genetic Counselor
- Some insurers have established counseling services or preferred providers.
- This web-based business employs numerous certified genetic counselors who can counsel patients by telephone in all 50 states
- Healthcare providers are required to complete a one-page referral form to initiate the process
- InformedDNA will bill the patient’s insurance company directly if it is contracted in their network
- Visit informeddna.com or call 1-800-975-4819
NCI Cancer Genetics Services Directory
- The National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Genetics Services Directory is a directory of professionals from various disciplines, such as genetic counseling, oncology, nursing, psychology, social work, and clinical genetics
- Providers listed in the Directory must meet requirements for certification, training, and professional affiliations
- Visit their website for more information
National Society of Genetic Counselors
- Members of this society have achieved a minimum of a master’s degree and must complete a board exam and continuing education in genetic counseling
- Visit www.nsgc.org. Use the “Find a Counselor” feature to search by state or zip code for the specialty “Cancer.”
Identifying Patients for Genetic Counseling and Testing
ACMG Practice Guideline, 2015
- A practice guideline from the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics and the National Society of Genetic Counselors: referral indications for cancer predisposition assessment. Genet Med. 2015;17(1):70-87.
NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) for detection, prevention, & risk reduction
- Website www.nccn.org – free registration required
- NCCN Guidelines® for Breast and Ovarian Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment
- NCCN Guidelines® for Colorectal Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment
Referenced with permission from the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) © National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc 2016. All rights reserved. Accessed July 11, 2016. To view the most recent and complete version of the guideline, go online to NCCN.org. NATIONAL COMPREHENSIVE CANCER NETWORK®, NCCN®, NCCN GUIDELINES®, and all other NCCN Content are trademarks owned by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc.
Contact Us To Get Started!
Work with us – your premier oncology partner – to optimize cancer care for patients